We’re headed to Calvin College Eco-Preserve on Wednesday afternoon for a rescheduled program of bird watching. We plan to leave school at 11:30 and return at the end of the day. Students will not be able to order hot lunch on Wednesday. Students should be sure to dress for the weather and be prepared to spend the afternoon outdoors.
Know God devotional books will be passed out tomorrow. Students should complete the next section of reading throughout this upcoming week. April discussion groups will take place a week from Tuesday.
In this next unit, students will focus in on identifying literary themes. The students will be reading one of two books for book club discussions: The Endling by Katherine Applegate or The Third Mushroom by Jennifer L. Holm. Both books are from the fantasy genre and have great themes of friendship, loyalty, family, and the power of community. Before the end of the year, the students will also read a historical fiction book that takes place during the Revolutionary War; this compliments our social studies work between here and the end of the year.
Fifth graders study the human body between spring break and the end of the school year. Our first two body systems (circulatory and digestive) will be covered in the next month or so.
The students will received graded Bible quests back in class tomorrow. We’ll begin our next unit on Tuesday of this week.
We have quite a few activities happening between here and the end of the school year. As various events come closer, I’ll be sure to let the students know specific details about what need to know, wear, bring, etc.
- Wednesday, April 17: Birding at Calvin Eco-Preserve (PM)
- Friday, April 19: Good Friday Family Time 2:30-3:00
- Tuesday, April 23: April Know God groups
- Friday, April 26: RCS Auction Fundraiser
- Wednesday, May 1: Volunteer afternoon @Frederik Meijer Gardens (look for Sign-Up Genius)
- Friday, May 3: Art Show @RCS (PM)
- Thursday, May 9: 5/6 Spring Concert and Program (more details coming soon, evening program)
- Wednesday, May 15: Chemistry Demonstration @Calvin College (PM)
- Friday, May 17: Calvin College Eco-Preserve: Macro-Invertebrate Study
- Wednesday, May 22: Whitecaps Game
- Monday, May 27: No School (Memorial Day)
- May 29-31: Three Days in the Woods: Spring Edition @Camp Roger
- Wednesday, May 5: Passage Hike
- Friday, June 7: Last Day of School (1/2 Day)